The Dead Still Here
by Laura Valeri
Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #TheDeadStillHere #NetGalley
Mapping stories set in Europe and America, The Dead Still Here skillfully paces through eleven short stories about friends-with-benefits typed relationships, vicious divorces and thievery, the loss of a child, the loss of a mother, and the Coast Guard and the Navy rescuing refugees from a bad storm at sea. Laura Valeri writes one single breathtaking sentence about sex, Dear John emails, and Christmas presents in Liabilities of a Love Misguided and displays a sharp sense of paranoia based on everyone looking at the narrator, laughing, whispering in What They Know. Along with characters that are irrevocably locked in their heads, Valeri includes a guide on how to take medication in Prescription for Life, which subtly points to the other hallucinatory narratives. This collection is at once provocative and lucid, and it offers various angles of characters looking for a relationship to hold.
“Laura Valeri is one savvy, lyrical, and fearless writer, and The Dead Still Here carries us away to places we’ve never been before. Here’s a storyteller at the top of her game writing about shattered lives and broken dreams, about refugees and grieving mothers, and who knows that nothing is as it seems. Here are eleven rattling, lyrical, and dazzling stories to savor and to celebrate.”
—John Dufresne author of I Don’t Like Where This Is Going
The stories in The Dead Still Here vibrate with originality, sensuality, and the strange. These exquisitely plotted stories reveal the many ways that our society silences art, intuition, and love. Multi-cultural and precisely attuned to the perils and sorrows of our times, Valeri’s collection solidifies her place as one of the finest writers of contemporary fiction.
—Sandy Rodriguez Barron, author of Stay With Me and The Heiress of Water
Two Valentine’s Day Giveaways:
don’t miss your chance to spoil your Valentine with literature
Safe in Your Head Valentine’s Day Giveaway
|See this #AmazonGiveaway for a chance to win: Safe in Your Head.https://giveaway.amazon.com/p/0de5c1c9705e488d NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Ends the earlier of Feb 9, 2016 11:59 PM PST, or when all prizes are claimed. See Official Ruleshttp://amzn.to/GArules.|
The Kinds of Things Saints Do Valentine’s Day Broken Hearts’ Consolation Giveaway
|Or here is some suggested copy:|
|See this #AmazonGiveaway for a chance to win: The Kind of Things Saints Do (Iowa Short Fiction Award). https://giveaway.amazon.com/p/4cb288365fecf6db NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Ends the earlier of Feb 9, 2016 11:59 PM PST, or when all prizes are claimed. See Official Rules http://amzn.to/GArules.|
- February 7, 5-7pm Hattie’s Bookstore in Brunswick, GA Author’s signing with Prosecco and gelato!
- February 21 and 22 Amelia Island Book Festival and Writers’ Workshop
- October 5, noon to 4:00pm Local Author Day at The Book Lady Bookstore, Savannah Georgia, 6 East Liberty Street, Savannah, GA
- October 16, noon to 1PM Georgia Southern University’s “Great Minds” lecture series, RJ’s Steakhouse, 434 South Main Street, Statesboro, GA
- October 18, 5:30 to 7PM Wine & Gourmet Tasting Experience and Meet The Author at The Savannah Wine Cellar, 5500 Abercorn St., Savannah, GA
- November 7-10 (details TBA): Sanibel Island Writers’ Conference, Sanibel, FL
- November 16-24 (details TBA): Miami International Book Fair, Miami, FL
Thank you for everyone who attended these past readings:
- August 31, 2013 @2pm: Decatur Book Festival, Decatur GA